Dear 2nd Grade Families,
The first week of school has been a busy one in Mrs. Leonard’s classroom. During the first few weeks of school we are working on the classroom environment, routines, and quality of work to ensure that everyone has the most productive year possible. Here are some of the highlights of the week that you could talk about with your child:
- morning meeting
- All About Me books and people
- practicing handwriting
- math workshop (We played games learned in 1st grade and established expectations for this time.)
- writing Hopes and Dreams for 2nd grade
- Literacy Lab with Mrs. Connery
- Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry (An engaging class read aloud that is helping us identify what makes a good story.)
- exploring the classroom library and choosing just right books
I am extremely proud of the hard work the students have accomplished this week. They have learned where the classroom materials belong, quickly and eagerly returning items to their places during transitions. We are going to keep a neat and organized room!! They are responsible for classroom jobs, including feeding our fish, organizing the science and writing center, and managing the classroom library.
Thank you for returning the multitude of papers that need to be filled out at the beginning of the year, including the parent survey! All students should send in their summer reading list by Monday. Next Thursday is the Book Blast and Barbeque at Wamogo, which celebrates the summer reading.
Finally, please check out the class web page at mrsleonard2ndgrade.weebly.com or by linking it through rsd6.org. I will include weekly updates and photos on the web page. We are also working on a video to share that will take you on a tour of our room.
I look forward to working with you throughout this year.